What Fibromyalgia Feels Like
Fibromyalgia means widespread pain in the muscles, but this syndrome causes many other symptoms.1 Lab tests seldom validate your condition and the results often make you feel like a hypochondriac. Pressing on tender points can diagnose fibromyalgia, but the exam still does not explain all of your symptoms.2
People with fibromyalgia often describe their symptoms as a flu-like infection that doesn’t go away. It leaves you exhausted and unable to think or find the right words (symptoms of fibro fog).3 With fibromyalgia, you have trouble sleeping and wake up stiff and achy.4 Your symptoms can be debilitating and you probably feel as though you have to push yourself to get anything done.5,6
Top Ten Fibromyalgia Symptoms
- Pain all over
- Sleep difficulties
- Brain fog
- Morning stiffness
- Muscle knots, cramping, weakness
- Digestive disorders
- Balance problems
- Itchy/burning skin
Learn more about the most common fibromyalgia symptoms.
What Makes Fibromyalgia Symptoms Worse?
Certain aggravating factors can make your symptoms come and go, or change without reason. Other conditions may also make you feel worse. Learn what these factors are so that you can work with your doctor on more effective treatment strategies.
- Affects 3 to 5 percent of the general population7
- Occurs in people of all ages, even children
- Men develop fibromyalgia too, although more women are diagnosed with it
- Symptoms are chronic but may fluctuate throughout the day
- Roughly one-quarter of people with fibromyalgia are work-disabled4
- Three drugs are FDA-approved for fibromyalgia treatment
More Basic Info is available at the following: